Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Robots as Humans?!

Will Robots ever be able to be a good enough substitution for a human? that is the question of the 21st Century. For me, a robot could never be a good enough human for many reasons. First of all you would know it’s a robot and not be entirely affectionate towards it, as we saw in the Movie A.I. Second of all, it doesn't eat, it has to be ordered to sleep and the affection it shows towards you isn't real. Its simply could never be a good enough replacement unless it becomes more realistic; in a mental way. Another factor that is disappointing with the robot in the movie A.I is that they do not grow.
That is a clear factor in even coming close to resembling a human. If it doesn't grow the parents will grow old and the child will stay the same. That has an even greater psychological effect to the parents. Their kid dies, and they get a replacement that will never die and will remain the same for ever.
After a period of time you get bored of it and you realize again that the robot is false. The only positive part about the robot is that they have emotions in some ways. In the movie, the robot cried when he was left alone, he jumped up when he was hurt with the knife. Technically it has good emotions and looks human, but the fact that it doesn’t grow, it cannot eat and it can’t take decisions on itself is a real setback. I tried to find out what other people thought about this and this is how I kind of changed my answer. I asked myself, if a relative of mine, died, and he or she could never come back, and the only close replica was the robot, would I take it? After further thought I realized, that just the presence of the relative within the robot would be something valuable. Even if it didn’t eat, sleep, or take decisions by itself it would be at least something. So in the end of the day, the pros are surpassed by the cons, but just having something like a replica of a relative is quiet good. I leave the decision to you all and I hope you found this blog posting interesting.

3 comments:

Gitanila said...

Well, i tried to commnet on ur sleeless nights but it isnt working so im going to comment about it on this one... I liked the topic but honestly would it be better if we didnt sleep??
Sleep is such an important part of human life and its so nice, why would you not want to have it? On the other hand i understand what you mean about coming home from school and not having the will to do homework.. i have the same problem... Wheni come back from swimming and dance class i dont feel like doing homework.. this is complicated topic because its got 2 sides to it... Good and bad... But overall i liked it...

DIMITRIS said...

Thanks Gita. I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is well written and you took interest in writing it. I agree that robots are absolute poor substitutes for humans. If God had wanted,he would make robots and humans. The world is trying to figure out something utterly impossible. However u mentioned the positive side of robots,there is nothing positive about the robots,the emotions they have are false. They feel nothing. If you took on one of these robots you would only be lying to yourself and satisfying your needs. Would you want your parents to replace you with a robot? That played better soccer then you do? I certainly would'nt. GR8 BLOG :)